Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cute Paper Bag Tutorial

Sorry I have been MIA for a while.  With everything our family went through last week - I have just been wanting to spend every second with my kiddo's.

I made my kids teacher appreciation gift last week - here is a quick tutorial on how to make the bags.  They really don't take long - and you can dress them up a lot of different ways.

First - get two pieces of paper.  I used 8.5 x 11.  Cut both at 8 inches square. (This makes a bag that is about 4 1/2 inches wide and 6 1/2 tall, you can make it as big or small as you want).

It will look like the below, an 8 inch square.

Then you scor your lines.   I messed up the first time - I had to re-cut my squares. You are going to scor both squares the exact same. First scor at 1/2 inch,

Then at 1 1/2 inch. 

Then at 2 1/2 inches. 

Rotate the paper once.  Then score at 1 1/2 

You will fold it like an accordion.  That little flap on top - that will hold your sides together. You want that to be folded up.

Then the one scor - that was done at 1 1/2, this is your bottom gusset. Fold that too.

Then you are going to cut and trim.  On the side that has three scor lines - you are going to cut out the 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch little piece. 

Then you will cut a little slit on the 2 1/2 inch scor line - up to the 1 1/2 inch scor line. 

I had a bunch of left over cuts from last Easter - so I just put together some things I had in a "cut" box. 

You have the option of  folding in the bottom flap to make it look a little more finished.

This is what the front side looks like before it gets assembled.  Decorate it before you finish your bag - it's a little easie r.

That little 1/2 inch piece, this is where you tape/glue goes. 

Then you line up the little flap up - with the other end.  Then you do it on the other side - to make your box. 

Then you fold down the bottom of the box. 


Then for the magic tape.  It's red tape - it's super tacky - and it will fold the bottom well.  If you use regular tape - the problem will be that it won't hold much weight. 

You peel back the red tape. 

Then it starts to look like a bag. 

One of my favorite tools - the crop-a-dile. 

I fold the bag - so the top corners matched - and punched a hole on each side.  This way they are even.  Then you put the eyelet  in the hole - you will need four.  This step is optional, I didn't do this for the teachers - because there was a whole lot of them - and I wanted it to be quick. It does make it look more finished though.

Then line up your crop-a-dile on the right settings and squeeze - and this sets your eyelet.  Do this on all 4 holes. 

And there you have it folks - a finished bag!  I just tied ribbon to finish it up.  Two equal pieces - small knots on each side.  Perfect for any holiday or occasion, just decorate as appropriate. 

The other nice thing is they hold cards perfectly - so if you wanted to make a bag full of cute cards to give as a gift - that would work too.  I did a quick tutorial on note cards here - they would fit perfectly inside.  A cute gift in probably under 15 minutes - and can most likely be done with materials you have on hand. 

Linking up to these parties:

1 comment:

  1. I am never buying a gift bag again!

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see more of your ideas this week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...