Sunday, March 20, 2011

DIY - Pottery Barn inspired Low Activitiy Table

Paisley PassionsAnd here it is!!!!  It's done!!!  Have I mentioned how much I love Ana White!!!
I used her plans for the inspired Pottery Barn low activity table.  Here are Ana's plans.
Here is mine - total cost was $70 in wood, and $30 in the caster wheels.  $8 in paint.  So $108 total.

Here is Pottery Barns: $380.


I started my building on Sunday...I love to build!!!!  Very therapeutic and I am in love with the smell of fresh cut wood.

Here are my table legs coming around. 

The whole side .

Ahhh - it's looking like a table!

Oh - and my new favorite toy!!!  It's a Kreg Jig!  Oh - I love it - makes a fabulous sturdy table - and minimal amount of work.  Love it! 

I get so excited when all my joints line up. 

The braces are in for the table top. 

Sigh....and on to the painting.  Have I mentioned my hatred of painting..I primed the table, then on to the real coat of paint.  Take one.....

Hmmm....It was a FAIL....Looked liked plum. 

One of the drawers. 

Another drawer...color was BAD.

Just bad. 

Before I get into the final project.  My painting mis-hap.  First coat - was like plum like.  Then the next color was a really plain light brown....yuck!  So I spoke with my mom...and she recommended a Rustolium paint - it is Kola in a Semi-Gloss.

So - then we painted it...Next day - so excited to go down and see it.  It is crackled...sigh...so I sanded it lightly trying to make is smooth before the next coat went on.  I went upstairs, and my husband got the sand paper, and went I came down - there was a patch of white - and the paint was peeling.  So - we spent all Saturday stripping, and sanding...but it was for the best.  It turned out great - a day later than I wanted - ok about 5 days later than I wanted.  But - here you go!




Do you like those white shelves in the backgound - I made those too - you can find them here


Here is my little man..yes he is wearing Christmas pj's and it is march...What do you want from me :) 

We put the caster wheels on it - so he can push them in and out.  Highly recommend them - the kids couldn't come close to pulling them out without them.  Warning - it is expensive!!! 







No lie - it was about 30 seconds after we brought the table in - Mikey climbed right on top - sat down like he owned the place.  It's his new jungle gym - but at least it is close to the ground and sturdy - right! 

Love to know what you think!!!!

Linking up to these parties:

23 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I want one of these for my 19 month old, he'd use it primarily as a jungle gym too! But hey, at least he's not climbing on me then, right? Awesome job, it looks fantastic! Visiting from UTTAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Perfect project for a first build. Love the handy storage drawers below!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how great-and that clearly holds ALOT of toys! i love that you said you find it therapeutic and love the smell of fresh cut wood-i'm the total opposite, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome, you did a great job! And who says you can only wear Christmas PJ's once a year? I say as long as they can fit into it let them wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I want to build a coffee table - thanks for the giving me the courage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing. Know it is being enjoyed. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great. Wish I'd had one when my daughter was little.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! I've been snooping around on all the hand built furniture, I'm trying to get up the courage! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks fantastic! and is so practical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That came out amazing. My father built me one when my kids were little (but without those awesome drawers that you have underneath). I love yours. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks professional! I wish I could build like that! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so great! I wish I could build things. You are blessed with a great talent. I found you at Blue Cricket. Please visit me at http://barbwired0117.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! I haven't attempted to build anything yet, trying to work up my courage...I think I'll stick to re-do a little longer before I get to just the do part! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! What a nice place to store toys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally appeciate the smell of wood, too! I could easily have been a lumberjack in another life being the sawdust sniffer that I am.
    Great project! I wish I had your carpenters talent. You couldn't get me out of the shop. Probably more sniffing than building anyway.
    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I am so impressed! I'm not sure if I could build a straight table to save my life, but you did an incredible job! Thank you so much for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence! I'm going to feature this on our Facebook page!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great! Just like the PB one but better because its hand made.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That came out darling- you did a great job on it!! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks fantastic! I love it! Ana's plans are amazing. I hate it when paint doesn't cooperate! At least you had patience to fix it! I usually paint over it--making it worse!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ana White is a goddess. Seriously. LOVE!

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back this week {party opens at 8pm CST}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Terrific idea! And you ARE getting quite handy with the tools! Your little guy looks adorable in his Christmas pjs. I say let him wear them until he outgrows them...or it gets too warm to wear them. )

    Thanks for linking your handiness to the party. See ya next project.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...