So when I moved to my new house over a year ago my MIL gave me 3 antique chairs because she knew I liked to refinish things - and do projects. So - 18 months later - I finally got around to them!
Here is what it looked like first:
I had to pull up all the nails - there were a lot of old nails - and a lot of blisters on my hand!
So then I sanded the chair down a little, sprayed it with $1 can of spray paint from Home Depot. I put about 3 coats on. Sprayed it with a sealer so the paint wouldn't chip. Everything was matte finish.
When that was done - I went shopping for some fabric and padding. Yeah......I am so cheap! Well - this stuff was expensive. I had some foam in my hand - checked out and the total was over $60!!! I was like...ummm...how much was that? That one thick piece of foam was almost $35!!! Yeah - I said - no thank you!!! I bought two yards of that fabric - because I want to add chair cushions to 4 other chairs I sprayed black to match. I bought trim and a thin piece of cushion for the top of the chair - that totaled around $25 with a handful of other stuff. I only used about $5 worth of fabric on this chair though.
I cut (OK - I had my husband cut) the bottom part -he used the jig saw - and cut a piece of 3/4 in MDF to fit on the bottom. I nailed it down first. then I took an old pillow from an old couch cushion, and put that on top. I then took the fabric - cut a piece that came down to where I wanted to staple. I pulled everything taught - and stapled everything down around the edge.
Then I had these pieces of about 1/4 in MDF cut to make little cubes - I had some left over - so they were the perfect size - no cutting needed. I took the thin foam I had - cut a piece to fit the square - and stapled the fabric on. Then I did the same for the other piece.
Went out to the garage - and put 4 pin nails in each corner - one on the top front - and one on the top back. So that they held in place. It worked perfect!!!!
Then I took my trim and went around the outside of the seat. Took the hot glue gun and went around about 3-4 inches at a time, so the glue didn't cool. It isn't perfect - but it looks great!
Not bad for taking me a year to get motivated to do it. It probably was about $12 in product cost. I still have two more that match that need to get done. I do know where I want two of them to go - can't wait till that is done so I can show you!!! Let me know what you think, or if you have any other questions.
Parties: (Check out these link parties there is some great stuff - leave comments - everyone loves comments!)